Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Satan calling you?

Can you imagine spending time with Jesus when He suddenly turns to you and says, “Oh, by the way, the devil has been asking for you by name.” “The devil? You mean, like . . . Lucifer himself?” “Yeah. That’s right.”

That is what happened to Peter. He and the other disciples had just celebrated the Last Supper with Jesus when He dropped this revelation on them: “Tonight all of you will desert me. For the Scriptures say, ‘God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there” (Matthew 26:31–32). But Peter replied, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you” (verse 33).

So Jesus essentially said, “Well, since you brought it up, Rock, let me tell you something. Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you ever knew Me. And listen to this, Peter: Satan has been asking excessively that you would be taken out of the care and protection of God.”

The good news is that Jesus was praying for Peter. And Jesus is praying for you. Romans 8:34 says, “Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.” Jesus is in your corner. He is interceding for you. Bible commentator Robert Murray McCheyne said, “If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me.” Were it not for the prayers of Jesus, I wouldn’t stand a chance. Neither would you. I rely on Him everyday. Who do you rely upon?

No comments:

Post a Comment